Monday, August 27, 2007

The Good Life - Retirement?

Willy just had the opportunity to walk over an 80 acre tract of land for sale. Mostly woods. Has a major creek running through it with the evidence of an old swimming hole. Deer abundant. Saw many turkey tracts. - Man Willy wishes he had this piece of ground.

Believe this is what Willy would want when he retires. Makes Willy want to retire.

But then I get in my email and find something like this talking about retirement:

I worked forty-five years for someone else, so that I could retire. I dreamed of sleeping late and sitting by the fire.

I dreamed of long vacations enjoying stage and song, but let me set you straight on that concept, it is simply wrong.

I did junk my safety glasses and the work boots that cramped my toes, but the rest of it had a mind of it's own and this is how it goes.
My wife had been thinking of retirement and had plans of her own. She had spent much time with the kids but now they are gone and grown.

We sold our cattle and horses so we wouldn't have that chore. I poured concrete over my alarm clock, but I still wake up at four.

I get my eyes checked on Monday. Ann gets hers checked the next day. I go for a colon check on Wednesday and pass my wife going the other way.

I have a dental appointment on Thursday. Ann goes for a test on her heart. Friday we go get prescriptions filled and browse a while at Wal-Mart.

Saturday we just stay home and try to get the paper work right. We can't take any overnight trips 'cause we can't see to drive at night.

Restroom confusion keeps us out of church on Sunday and we really do hate that. There's nothing wrong with the restrooms we just can't remember where they're at.

We don't need to plan next week. Just make sure we can drive and not forget where the hospitals and clinics are. We'll need them to survive.

Once a week we visit the cemetery and it seems more like home each time we go. I look around at the headstones and see everyone I know.

So, don't build your castles too high, my friend, while strolling through the clover. This is a typical week in retirement and on Monday we start all over !



3 comments:

Chris McClure aka Panhandle Poet said...

I like that. Sounds like something Cotton Lewis would write.

Anonymous said...

I'll still take my chances one of these days. Right now I have to work because I need the dough.

Chris McClure aka Panhandle Poet said...

I wanted to vote in your poll but couldn't make myself vote for either of the choices.