Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Fw: Thirty-four years ago today


Non sibi sed patriae, not self but country, is often mentioned as an
unofficial motto of the United States
Navy. Being a Marine, I have always
been more partial to Semper Fidelis, but I have had the honor and privilege
of serving in the company of Navy men for whom that motto, whether official
or not, is a way of life. My friend and former cellmate in Vietnam, John McCain,
is one of those men.

Thirty-four years ago today, on March 14,


1973, John McCain and hundreds of other prisoners of
war were released from Hanoi and began the trip home.
My repatriation from Hanoi was a week earlier, having been
shot down a year before John. I will never forget the feeling
of relief and joy upon stepping into an American aircraft with
my fellow countrymen to begin that journey home.

Things could have been very different for John. The son and grandson of
Navy Admirals, the North Vietnamese quickly realized when they captured
him that they had a special prisoner
from a distinguished military family. In an effort to embarrass us
and our country, they offered John early release. John consistently
refused those offers, understanding that freedom without honor was
not worth having. He kept faith with us, his fellow POWs, and stood
by the Code of Conduct through which we pledged "I will accept
neither parole nor special favors from the enemy."
Because of his
dedication to principle, the North Vietnamese made his life a living
hell for a number of years.

I was fortunate to know John in prison, and we have remained the
closest of friends. His refusal of early release, his constant
resistance, and his undying sense of humor were traits
we all admired. We were inspired by his commitment to
honor and encouraged by his sense of humor. His commitment
to principles, straight talk, and honesty in Washington continues
to inspire us today. I could never have imagined all those years
ago that one day the man sharing a concrete slab for a bed next
to me would be a candidate for President of the United States.
I am very proud to stand next to him today.

As our country battles a new kind of evil and our fighting men
and women take the battle to the terrorist, making incredible
sacrifices in their efforts, I think back to those days in Hanoi,
back to the experiences that have shaped my life ever since.
My friend, John, has been tested through circumstance and
fire, has met the challenge, and he is prepared to lead
America in difficult times ahead. No one is better qualified to
be Commander in Chief. He has made me proud over the
years, and I know he will do the same for us all as President.

Today is a special day for John and hundreds of us who were
POWs in Vietnam. I hope you will join me in remembering
those who have served this great country, especially those
who today fight for our freedom and safety in foreign lands.
We are proud of their service. We honor their sacrifice,
and look forward to the day their mission is accomplished
and they too will return with honor.

Sincerely,


Orson Swindle
Lieutenant Colonel, United States Marine Corps (ret)
POW 1966-1973







No comments: